Dental Exams & Cleanings
During your initial visit, a thorough dental exam will be preformed. Your regular exams and check-ups will include:
- X-ray Examinations: X-rays are necessary to detect tooth and root positions and screen for tumors, cysts, decay and bone loss.
- Oral Cancer Examinations: We check for any signs of oral cancer on your lips, tongue, throat, face, neck, tissues and gums.
- Evaluation for Gum Disease: We check for signs of periodontal disease in the gums and the bones surrounding the teeth.
- Tooth Decay Screening: Using special instruments, we check the tooth surface for signs of decay.
- Examination of Current Restorations: We check your crowns and fillings to make sure they are sound and healthy.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Registered Dental Hygienists usually preform dental cleanings. When you come in for a cleaning, you can expect the following:
- Removal of calculus or tartar: Plaque that is left on the tooth for too long can harden and adhere to the tooth’s surface. Calculus is seen along the gum line and can only be removed using specialized dental equipment.
- Plaque removal: A sticky, nearly invisible film that forms on the teeth, plaque is a mixture of live bacteria, food and saliva. Periodontal disease can strike when bacteria causes inflammation of the gums.
- Polishing: This is what makes your teeth gleaming and pearly white! Tooth bushing and scaling can remove most stains, but polishing gives your teeth the final touch.